SpookyJam is upon us once again! Join us in celebrating the fall season and the modded Minecraft community with our seventh annual SpookyJam event! During SpookyJam we encourage mod developers to create new mods that fit with the fall season. Those who participate are encouraged to challenge themselves, learn new skills, and collaborate to create something awesome for the whole community to enjoy. In addition to the mod jam we also host a public server where anyone can join and test out the submissions with the community.
If you are not a mod developer there are still many ways you can participate in the event! The easiest way to participate is to share ideas and give feedback to the participants. While it may not seem like much, a bit of encouragement from players can go a long way. Participating in the event yourself may also be easier than you think! Join our Discord for more info.
SpookyJam 2023 has officially started! You may now start working on your entries. You will have until the end of October to submit your entry. We recommend submitting your entries as soon as possible so players can have time to enjoy your mods. If you have any questions or want to track progress we recommend joining our Discord server.
The following rules have been put in place to ensure a safe and fair experience for all participants. Breaking these rules may result in your submission being disqualified. If you have any questions about the rules please reach out on our Discord.
- Submissions must only be developed during the event period. This year the event starts on September 20th and will end on October 31st. Coming up with ideas in advance is fine, however all code, textures, sounds, models, and other assets must be made during the event period. A special exception is given for public domain and CC0 assets that are available to everyone. You may also use and remix official Mojang assets provided that your use is lawful, fair use, or abides with Mojang's terms and conditions.
- Submissions must fit with the themes of SpookyJam. These themes include anything that is spooky, dark, or mysterious. Anything that fits with the fall/autumn season or celebrates a seasonally relevant custom or tradition is also allowed. If you're not sure if your idea fits you can ask on our Discord.
- Submissions must load on both a client and server environment. Targeting only the client or server is fine as long as loading in an unsupported environment does not crash the game or render the game unplayable.
- Submissions are strongly encouraged to be compatible with Minecraft 1.20.1 and the Forge mod loader. While supporting other versions and mod loaders is okay, our server and modpack will be targeting that environment and we can not include your submission if you do not have a compatible version available for us. We will attempt to load Fabric based submissions on Forge using Sinytra, however this is an experimental project and results are not guaranteed.
- Third party dependencies such as libraries, frameworks, and APIs can be used within reason. You will be accountable for any issues caused by dependencies required by your submission. Dependencies that interfere with other submissions or overhaul the game to the point where other submissions are unplayable will be excluded from the mod pack and server.
- Teams are allowed, and even encouraged! There are no limits to the size of teams and a participant may participate with multiple teams. Teams are responsible for deciding how prizes won by their submission will be distributed.
- Submissions must not contain malicious code or act in bad faith. We expect everyone to be professional and try not to ruin the event for anyone else. Intentionally crashing the game, making the game unplayable, or maliciously tampering with other submissions will not be accepted.
- Sponsors of the event and anyone that is employed by a sponsor may participate in the event however they will be ineligible to win any prizes beyond those given out to all participants. Teams these individuals are on will also be ineligible to win prizes that are not given out to all participants.
- Submissions must be uploaded to CurseForge before the submission deadline. They must also pass through CurseForge's standard review process. We highly encourage uploading your project as soon as possible to ensure your project is reviewed in time.
- Be respectful to other participants, event sponsors, and event organizers.
Prizes & Rewards
This year we will be working with CurseForge to send limited edition prizes to participants of the event. More details about these prizes will be revealed closer to the end of the event. To receive the prize your submission must follow all rules of the event. Prizes are limited to one per person. We will also be screening submissions to check for abuse.
Modpack & Server
Each year we put together a modpack that showcases mods participating in the event. We also host a public server for players to explore these mods together! More information about the modpack and server will be released near the end of October.
Participants may submit their projects here.
In 2023 we have received 22 submissions from 27 different authors! These projects have been cumulatively downloaded 279,867 times! Check out all the awesome submissions below!